Edited by Luigi Garuti

The Lewiston Memorial Armory is dedicated to Lewiston's Veterans of all wars and was erected in 1922-23.

Lewiston Memorial Armory, 65 Central Avenue, Lewiston, ME, USA.
Jimi Hendrix Experience concert at 20:00.
Support: The Hanseatic League; Terry And The Telstars.
Presented by East Coast Promotions
Local Promoter: Bates College
Fee: $1,500
Tickets: $2.50 advance; $3.00 door

Possible setlist:

Killing Floor
Foxy Lady
The Wind Cries Mary
Red House
Hey Joe
Spanish Castle Magic
Manic Depression
Purple Haze
Wild Thing

The Experience probably flew back to New York from Portland ME (45 mins in car from Lewiston) after the gig.

The Bates Student, 20-03-1968

Neville Chesters: “Went out to airport to pick up Marshall amplifier. Good show, shitty place.”

Gary Earle (vocals, keyboards, Hanseatic League): “Noel Redding didn’t arrive for the afternoon sound check, but Hendrix and Mitch Mitchell played anyway. They were, and remain to this day, the best two-piece band I ever heard in my life.”

Mark Horton (bass, Hanseatic League): “With support from dormmates, I booked Hendrix for $1,500. The League and another local band, Terry & the Telstars, opened for Hendrix. We were all kind of nervous. I wouldn’t say it was one of our finest performances. [Gary] Earle flubbed the intro to our first song, Booker T. and the MG’s ‘Hip-Hug Her,’ but we redeemed ourselves by the closer, Cream’s arrangement of Skip James’ ‘I’m So Glad’. Although Hendrix was distracted by equipment problems, I was riveted.”

Rich Hagar [rhythm guitar, Hanseatic League]: “We landed the gig because our bassist was one of the promoters for the show. Hendrix was originally signed to play the show for $1500. The promoters expected about 4,000 people at the most, but 7,000 people actually showed up, which is almost double of what The Armory is built to hold. I knew it was to be a loud set from Hendrix when I saw three 24-foot U-Haul trucks pull up, all holding amplifiers and instruments. Both Hendrix and Redding used 3 Marshall amplifiers with Sound City heads. I heard Hendrix was late because he crashed his Jaguar on the way to the show. I got to sit on the side of the stage during Hendrix’s set. Jimi came onto the stage alone and starting the show alone. After soloing for a few minutes, he was joined by Mitch Mitchell on the drums for Howlin’ Wolf’s "Killing Floor". Not to be off-color, but at one point, Hendrix turned away from the audience, achieved an erection, and proceeded to play the guitar with it. I got to chat with Hendrix & Redding at the concert. Redding was very talkative, where as Hendrix was more quiet and reserved.”

Paul Langelier, who passed away some years ago, took shots. The photos were auctioned off.